Bulletin No: 145 Volume: 22 Thursday 11 August 2016
MEMBERS CAN SHOW THEIR SUPPORT FOR THE 55 SACKED CUB EMPLOYEES AT A RALLY TODAY OR A FUNDRAISER TONIGHT
Members can show their support for the 55 sacked CUB employees at a rally at the CUB Brewery at 3pm today or at a fundraiser at Trades Hall at 5:30pm.
For the past 9 weeks the ETU and AMWU have been picketing the CUB Brewery in Abbotsford over the sacking of 55 workers.
On the 10th of June 55 Carlton United Brewery maintenance workers were directed by CUB to attend a meeting. These workers had collectively over 900 years of service. With no prior notice at that meeting they were told that their employment was terminated.
These 55 workers were then invited to reapply for their jobs through a company called “Catalyst Recruitment”. This invitation to reapply for a job:
- came with no guarantees;
- would be on individual contracts;
- would be covered by a barely compliant non-union EBA;
- would result in a massive loss of terms and conditions of employment including an approximate 65% reduction in monetary entitlements.
There are two events today that members can attend to show their support for these sacked workers:
- A Rally at 3pm today at the CUB Brewery – Southampton Cres, Abbotsford in support of the 55 workers who have been picketing the Brewery for the last 9 weeks.
- Then at 5.30pm, head to the Battle of the Brewery Fundraiser at Trades Hall, corner Lygon St & Victoria St, Carlton (enter via Victoria St). Event includes:
- Spit roast and drinks are available.
- Entertainment by Monkey Butler, Dear Park and comedian Richard Marks.
- There will be door prizes, a silent auction, raffle and a chance to purchase CUB55 Dispute Memorabilia.
- Tickets $20 on the door.
Message Dan on 0419127045 if you can attend either of these events.
Strength in Unity
READ OUT AT MUSTER AND PIN ON NOTICE BOARD
Authorised by Peter Marshall, Branch Secretary