Bulletin No: 031 | 14 March 2019
To: ALL UFU MEMBERS
ONLY TWO WEEKS AWAY …
WALKING OFF THE WAR WITHIN 2019
Let’s walk and talk for mental health
SATURDAY 23 MARCH 2019
9.00AM for a 9.30AM start
St Patrick’s College Ballarat (entry via Eyre St & Russell St)
Register by 5.30PM 22 March via www.walkoffww.com
ALL WELCOME: Walk for 1, 2 or 3km with or without a pack … Or walk the 20km with a 20kg pack.
Members and their families encouraged to wear UFU apparel on the day.
• Members are strongly encouraged to attend the event and walk alongside our BCOM members and Welfare Officer on the day, to continue the conversation about mental health in the defence force, emergency services and the broader community
• The walk is supported by the UFU, CFA and a number of other organisations including Soldier On and Black Dog Institute. The walk is completed by Defence Force Personnel, Emergency Service Personnel, their families, and members of the general public.
• There will also be family and children’s activities, CFA education displays, antique fire trucks and food (lunch, pancakes and ice-cream) for all on the day.
• Members are also encouraged to wear either Walking Off the War Within or UFU apparel in a show of support and solidarity with Nathan’s family and for such a worthy cause.
Supporting UFU comrade, the late Nathan Shanahan
Nathan, who was a soldier in the Australian Army prior to becoming a CFA professional firefighter, was very open about the various battles he faced with mental health. He completed a walk from Mildura to Adelaide in April 2015 to raise awareness about mental health issues. Nathan passed away in December of 2016 and many of his UFU comrades organise and participate in the walk to continue Nathan’s legacy.
The UFU respectfully encourages UFU members and their families and friends to participate in the walk to raise public awareness, form connections with other emergency services personnel and their families and importantly to participate in the memory of UFU comrade QFF Nathan Shanahan.
• For any questions regarding the event, please contact CFA Leading Firefighter Josh Martin at email@example.com or on 0409 898 896 or WOWW Event Coordinator Carlee Grant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Website: www.walkoffww.com
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/walkoffthewarwithin/
Strength in Unity
READ OUT AT MUSTER AND PIN ON NOTICE BOARD
Authorised by Peter Marshall, Branch Secretary