Bulletin No: 002 | 2 January 2019
TO: ALL UFU MEMBERS
CORONIAL INQUEST ANNOUNCED INTO WEST FOOTSCRAY / TOTTENHAM FACTORY FIRE
- Partly as a result of the UFU’s early lodgement of a formal Request for a Coronial Inquest, the Coroners Court has announced that a coronial inquest will be held into the West Footscray / Tottenham Factory Fire.
- Coroner Darren Bracken is presiding over the matter and will have the power to make a finding including about the cause of the fire and recommendations about whether anything could be done differently to prevent similar fires in the future.
- Less than five percent of coronial investigations lead to coronial inquests, which reflects the public interest, including firefighters’ interests, in determining how similar fires can be prevented in the future.
- The UFU is briefing senior counsel Peter Rozen to ensure that UFU members have their interests represented fully and frankly as part of the coronial inquest.
The most significant issue for the UFU is the magnified risk of injury to firefighters that the Fire presented.
If you attended the West Footscray / Tottenham Factory Fire, you have potentially been exposed to high levels of industrial toxic contaminants.
It does not matter if you are not currently experiencing adverse health effects. If you attended the Fire, please do the following:
- Lodge an MFB Safe to register your potential exposure. There is a designated link for the West Footscray / Tottenham Fire on the MFB Intranet MFB Safe page.
- Please ring UFU Industrial Officers Virginia Wills on 0419 848 995 or Carol Gee on 0499 049 196 or the UFU Office on 9419 8811 to register that you attended the West Footscray / Tottenham Factory Fire.
- If necessary, lodge a WorkCover claim for any medical expenses or time off work as a result of symptoms you have experienced as a result of attending the fire. The UFU can give you a referral to UnionAssist for free assistance with your WorkCover claim.
- Please do not be complacent in this matter. It is your health and wellbeing that is at risk and therefore a matter of priority for you and the UFU.
Please ring UFU Industrial Officers Virginia Wills on 0419 848 995 or Carol Gee on 0499 049 196 or the UFU Office on 9419 8811 to register that you attended the West Footscray / Tottenham Factory Fire and have been potentially exposed to high levels of industrial toxic contaminants.
Strength in Unity
READ OUT AT MUSTER AND PIN ON NOTICE BOARD
Authorised by Peter Marshall, Branch Secretary