Bulletin No: 007 | 11 January 2019
TO: ALL UFU MFB MEMBERS
Availability allowance arbitration
AVAILABILITY ALLOWANCE IS PAYABLE FOR ALL PURPOSES: FAIR WORK COMMISSION DECISION
- Commissioner Wilson has today handed down his decision on the Availability Allowance arbitration.
- As members may recall, the case was about the application of the availability allowance including whether the allowance should be paid for all purposes, whether the allowance extends to ranks below Commanders where people within those ranks have analogous availability requirements, and a claim for an additional allowance for 10/14 Commanders.
- The MFB made jurisdictional objections to the UFU’s claim. These objections were rejected by Commissioner Wilson.
- This decision is a significant one for the UFU and members. The UFU thanks those members who provided statements and gave evidence on behalf of the UFU.
- In the interim, while the UFU is reviewing the decision, the below is provided for members’ information. Full and further particulars will be provided in a UFU Bulletin at a later date.
- The availability allowance is payable for all purposes. This means that those entitled to the allowance are entitled to receive it at all times and for all purposes, including while on annual leave.
- The allowance applies to ranks on day work below the rank of Commander where they meet the criteria for the allowance.
- The UFU claim for a new allowance for 10/14 Commanders was rejected.
Strength in Unity
READ OUT AT MUSTER AND PIN ON NOTICE BOARD
Authorised by Peter Marshall, Branch Secretary