Bulletin No: 118 Volume: 22 Friday 24 June 2016
To: ALL UFU MFB AND CFA OPERATIONAL STAFF MEMBERS
ADVERSE TREATMENT OF MEMBERS OVER PROPOSED UFU/CFA AGREEMENT
These are difficult times. The Union is here to support you, just as you are supporting each other. We will continue to stand together and call for calm in the face of some exyraordinary attacks by some politicians and media.
Some members have suffered other inappropriate treatment over the proposed CFA/UFU Operational Staff Enterprise Agreement.
Members who experience such incidents should contact their shop steward or the UFU office and provide details so that we can follow up these incidents.
The sort of behaviour is unacceptable. We will take action to support UFU members. However we need to have details including names if known, description of the incident, and time and place.
Should members have any questions in relation to this, please contact either your shop steward or the UFU office.
SUPPORT SERVICES AVAILABLE TO MEMBERS
MFB and CFA
Both the MFB and the CFA have support services which members are encouraged to access. The contact details are as follows:
- For MFB personnel there is 24 hour access to a dedicated counselling service with psychologists by calling 1800 451 138 or 1300 366 789. If you call this service you can have immediate access to a psychologist via telephone or alternatively make an appointment. This service is also available for family members.
- Additionally for MFB personnel there is an extensive peer support programme where a clinician can be accessed by calling 9665 4405 or 0407 665 174 or the Peer Coordinator on 0417 538 289 or 9665 4516.
- CFA members can access Critical Incident Stress Peer Support by calling either the CFA Chaplain Service on 1800 337 068 or the CFA Member Assistance Program 1300 795 711.
We encourage you to use the above services provided by the MFB and CFA, but if you feel uncomfortable in doing so there are external support services which all can access.
Services available to all:
On the beyondblue website https://www.beyondblue.org.au/ the following support services are listed that are external to the CFA and MFB and that are available to all.
The website has comprehensive information that deals with a range of mental health awareness and the support and help that is available.
The numbers for these services are as follows:
- Lifeline 13 11 14
- Suicide Call Back Services 1300 659 467
- beyondblue Support Service 1300 22 4636
UFU Welfare Officer
Ross Fusca has been appointed as the UFU’s Welfare Officer. He can provide assistance to members based on his wealth of expertise.
Ross comes to us with thirty years’ experience in law enforcement with the Australian Federal Police, attaining the substantive rank of Detective Sergeant. Within this role, he held the position of Welfare Officer (Victoria and Tasmania), encompassing portfolios including Return to Work Coordinator, Equal Opportunities Officer, Sexual Harassment Contact Officer, Aboriginal Liaison Officer and Regional Mediator.
Over this time, Ross successfully contributed to a safer and equitable workplace, with a number of his recommendations adopted by AFP management.
Ross will also have at his disposal the ability to refer UFU members to independent external services if required.
Ross can be contacted by members confidentially at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0477 884 456.
If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact the UFU on 9419 8811 or Peter Marshall on 0419 127 004.
Strength in Unity
READ OUT AT MUSTER AND PIN ON NOTICE BOARD
Authorised by Peter Marshall, Branch Secretary