Bulletin No: 133 | 17 August 2018
To: ALL UFU MEMBERS
FURTHER UPDATE RE RANK ALIGNMENT AND RELATIVITIES – MFB BOARD AND CFA BOARD DESERT AND DEVALUE THEIR OFFICER RANKS BY OPPOSING FAIR WORK APPLICATION
Further to bulletin No 131, the UFU now informs members of the following:
- That the MFB and CFA have issued instructions to their barristers to proceed on the basis that the Commission does not have any power to hear and determine either relativities or rank alignment.
- The employers have also said that they want this matter decided first which means that if they are successful then there will be no increase in relativities or harmonisation from Station Officer, Senior Station Officer, Operations Officer, Commanders, Operations Managers, Assistant Chief Fire Officers.
- This means that the effect of the increase of relativities to Leading Firefighters from the introduction of Senior Leading Firefighters and the anomaly that it has created in the context of roles and responsibilities of Officer classifications will now not be addressed if the MFB and CFA arguments are successful.
- This is breathtaking hypocrisy as both the MFB board and Executive Leadership Team, the CFA Board and Executive Leadership Team had agreed to the Fair Work Commission being able to decide these matters in the recent EBA negotiations. Further both MFB and CFA boards and Executive Leadership Teams had created an expectation that these matters would be dealt with by the Fair Work Commission and would be resolved.
- The action by both organisations show that they do not value or support the Officer classifications and are happy for the anomaly with the introduction of the Senior Leading Firefighter to continue unaddressed.
- The union will be holding telephone conferences with SO/SSOs, Commanders, OOs, OMs and ACFOs in the near future to outline further the ramifications of this industrial bastardry.
- The latest communique from MFB CFO Dan Stevens, states “We are also working to resolve the question of relativities for SOs and SSOs. Please be assured that the MFB has not reneged on the Agreement and remains committed to working with the CFA and UFU to resolve their complex matters.” The above comment is untruthful and extremely concerning given that the instructions to the MFB and CFA’s lawyers are the direct opposite what CFO Dan Stevens says.
- As per previous bulletin, we suggest you forward emails to the following people requesting that they honour their agreement:
MFB CEO Dan Stephens: firstname.lastname@example.org
MFB President Jasmine Doak: email@example.com
CFA CEO Paul Smith: Paul.Smith@cfa.vic.gov.au
CFA Chair Greg Smith: firstname.lastname@example.org
Strength in Unity
READ OUT AT MUSTER AND PIN ON NOTICE BOARD
Authorised by Peter Marshall, Branch Secretary