Bulletin No: 151 | 31 August 2018
To: ALL UFU MEMBERS
MFB CERTIFICATION CASE UPDATE:
Oral hearings conclude
- Today, the oral submissions before FWC on the certification of the MFB/UFU Enterprise Agreement concluded, following four days of hearing this week.
- This morning, Counsel for the Federal Minister concluded their closing submissions followed by closing submissions by Counsel for VEOHRC. Both parties continued to attack your Enterprise Agreement and seek to make assertions that the Agreement is discriminatory, amongst other matters, so as to prevent certification by Deputy President Gostencnik.
- Counsel for the MFB and Counsel for the UFU concluded the hearing with submissions in reply. These submissions strongly defended the legality of the Agreement and its ability to be certified by FWC.
- Deputy President Gostencnik has reserved his decision. With the decision reserved we cannot comment on the outcome but note that appeals may be available to the parties should such be necessary.
- Members will continue to be updated as the matter progresses.
- The UFU thanks all members who attended the hearings in a show of solidarity. As members would be aware, this Agreement has been over five years in the making with many contributing to it getting to this point of certification.
- The UFU thanks in particular UFU witness ACFO Brendan Angwin, who defended your terms and conditions of employment under cross-examination and highlighted the real and genuine concerns an industry such as firefighting has in accommodating part-time / flexible work.
- The UFU also thanks our legal team for their hard work and dedication over many months on this case.
- We also thank the work of the MFB’s legal team and witnesses.
Strength in Unity
READ OUT AT MUSTER AND PIN ON NOTICE BOARD
Authorised by Peter Marshall, Branch Secretary