Bulletin No: 162 | Friday 14 September 2018
To: ALL UFU MEMBERS
CALLING ON ALL VICTORIAN POLITICIANS:
STOP THE CLIMATE CHANGE “DEBATE”, ADOPT COHERENT AND EFFECTIVE CLIMATE CHANGE POLICY, AND SUPPORT VICTORIA’S PROFESSIONAL CAREER FIREFIGHTERS THIS FIRE SEASON
- UFU members are advised that today the Union sent all Victorian politicians a letter in relation to the escalating risk of bushfire and extreme heat events in Victoria.
- The UFU called on politicians to put an end to the climate change “debate”, stop the “political point scoring”, and once and for all adopt or devise coherent and effective policy to address the cause and impact of climate change.
- The letter is a timely reminder to politicians and political parties – as many of them continue to argue over the existence of climate change, or ignore its devastating effects, Victoria’s professional career firefighters are preparing for a dangerous bushfire season and extreme weather events.
- Professional career firefighters engage in fire season preparations despite not having any legal protections of their conditions of employment which include staffing levels, personal protective clothing and equipment, and safe systems of work. The MFB and CFA signing a Common Law Deed with the Union, as is commonly done by the parties, is one simple resolution to the limbo that professional career firefighters are in.
- The UFU respectfully requested to be provided with the party or politician’s climate change policy and a statement of support for Victoria’s professional career firefighters to have security of employment and safe systems of work through common law deeds. Members will be kept informed.
Strength in Unity
READ OUT AT MUSTER AND PIN ON NOTICE BOARD
Authorised by Peter Marshall, Branch Secretary