Bulletin No: 166 | 18 September 2018
To: ALL UFU MEMBERS
UFU WEST FOOTSCRAY FIRE
- The following information is very important for members’ consideration. Please read the information below in relation to the establishment of a UFU Working Party.
- Following from UFU Bulletin #154, the UFU advises members that today the UFU Working Party held its first meeting to discuss the recent West Footscray Fires.
- The Working Party currently consists of the following members: Dave Hamilton, Danny Ward, Mick Tisbury, Phil Taylor, Graeme Murphy, Oliver Cassar, Glenn Veal, and Peter Schroder. UFU Industrial Officers are also supporting the Working Party.
- The first meeting today actioned the following:
- Release UFU Bulletin to members with an update re Working Party
- UFU Industrial Officers to consider and report back to Working Party appropriate academic and medical experts to provide advice to the Working Party.
- UFU to write to the head of WorkSafe investigation and invite them to present at the next or a future Working Party meeting.
- UFU Industrial Officers to write to WorkSafe and to Coroner in relation to an investigation into the incident.
- UFU to issue a press release regarding the establishment of the Working Party and the issues and concerns the Working Party will be dealing with.
MEMBERS’ IMMEDIATE WELFARE
- Members are encouraged to submit MFB Safes for each attendance to the fire. For example, if you attended the fire three times you should submit 3 MFB Safes.
- Members are advised to visit their medical practitioner or the BMO. Medical practitioners should be diligent recording any adverse impacts that a member may be experiencing.
- As a worker, you are legally entitled to lodge a WorkSafe application in relation to the incident. For assistance with WorkCover applications, please contact UFU Industrial Officers Carol Gee (9419 8811 or email@example.com) or Virginia Wills (9419 8811 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- As always, for welfare matters members are welcome to contact UFU Welfare Officer Ross Fusca confidentially at any time on 0477 884 456 or at email@example.com.
CONTACTING THE WORKING PARTY
The working party has endorsed, though not limited, the following as discussion points:
- Personal exposure to toxins
- Decontamination of appliances and equipment
- Respirators (P2 masks and BA)
- Fatigue management
- Changeover crews
- Members’ welfare
- MFB resources
- Remedies for future like fires and incidents
COLLABORATIVE ENGAGEMENT WITH OTHER PARTIES
The UFU Working Party today also decided to engage with the following parties:
- WorkSafe Investigators
- Environmental Protection Authority
- Scientific, academic and medical expertise
- UFUA – Aviation branch
- AMWU and CFMEU
- Political parties
- West Footscray local activist groups
Strength in Unity
READ OUT AT MUSTER AND PIN ON NOTICE BOARD
Authorised by Peter Marshall, Branch Secretary