Bulletin No: 183 | 19 October 2018
TO: ALL UFU MFB AND CFA OPERATIONAL STAFF MEMBERS
RANK ALIGNMENT AND RELATIVITIES APPEAL HEARD TODAY
- Today, the UFU’s appeal regarding jurisdiction over the running of the rank alignment and relativities case was heard by a Full Bench of the Fair Work Commission.
- The UFU was represented by both Senior and Junior Counsel along with a solicitor.
- As members would recall, the UFU was forced to run this appeal following a last-minute legal tactic by the MFB and CFA in the original case claiming that Commissioner Wilson did not have jurisdiction.
- MFB and CFA waited until after the UFU had prepared and filed all its material in this matter to object to jurisdiction despite a specific request by the Commissioner in the first instance for the MFB and CFA to make any submissions on jurisdiction in advance of this.
- As a result of these last-minute legal tactics by MFB and CFA (who we remind members are using the same lawyers from the Termination Case) the UFU was unable to run its case as Commissioner Wilson issued a decision declining to find jurisdiction.
- Today’s appeal has sought to overturn that decision. The Full Bench has reserved its decision and members will be informed of the outcome when it is received.
Strength in Unity
READ OUT AT MUSTER AND PIN ON NOTICE BOARD
Authorised by Peter Marshall, Branch Secretary