Bulletin No: 027 Volume: 22 Thursday 4 February 2016
ALL UFU MEMBERS
SUPPORT SERVICES AVAILABLE
TO MFB AND CFA MEMBERS
As Members are aware, the nature of our industry is one that generates inherent stress and anxiety which may result in depression or other illness.
Recent studies have also confirmed an extremely high level of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder among firefighters. Given the levels that the studies have referred to, members are encouraged to not hesitate to access the support services that are available to assist.
It is often not spoken about but it is common for firefighters to experience these types of mental health trauma as a result of their service to the community.
Therefore it is vitally important that each and every one of us recognise that we are susceptible to experiencing any one of the above as a result of the nature of our industry.
Inherently it is instilled in us to look after each other of which we have a proud history of doing so.
In particularly distressing times we need to be extra vigilant to make sure that each and every one of us is ok and supported.
Both the MFB and the CFA have support services which members are encouraged to access. The contact details are as follows:
- For MFB personnel there is 24 hour access to a dedicated counselling service with psychologists by calling 1800 451 138 or 1300 366 789. If you call this service you can have immediate access to a psychologist via telephone or alternatively make an appointment. This service is also available for family members.
- Additionally for MFB personnel there is an extensive peer support programme where a clinician can be accessed by calling 9665 4405 or 0407 665 174 or the Peer Coordinator on 0417 538 289 or 9665 4516.
- CFA members can access Critical Incident Stress Peer Support by calling either the CFA Chaplain Service on 1800 337 068 or CFA Welfare Support on 1800 626 616.
We encourage you to use the above services provided by the MFB and CFA, but if you feel uncomfortable in doing so there are external support services which all can access.
On the beyondblue website https://www.beyondblue.org.au/ the following support services are listed that are external to the CFA and MFB and that are available to all.
The website has comprehensive information that deals with a range of mental health awareness and the support and help that is available.
The numbers for these services are as follows:
- Lifeline 13 11 14
- Suicide Call Back Services 1300 659 467
- beyondblue Support Service 1300 22 4636
If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact the UFU or Peter Marshall on 0419 127 004.
Strength in Unity
READ OUT AT MUSTER AND PIN ON NOTICE BOARD
Authorised by Peter Marshall, Branch Secretary