Bulletin No: 093 | 28 August 2019
To: ALL UFU MEMBERS
UFU TOXIC DUMPING CAMPAIGN
Andrews Labor Government introduces amendments to Dangerous Goods Act, tougher penalties
Waste Inquiry Interim Report released, recognises risks of toxic dumping to emergency service personnel
Significant progress was made yesterday in recognising the effects of dangerous and reckless toxic dumping, the tougher penalties needed, and the risks career firefighters take in responding to these chemical fires.
DANGEROUS GOODS REFORM BILL INTRODUCED
- Yesterday Minister Hennessy, on behalf of the Andrews Labor Government and following the June announcement of legislative changes, introduced the Dangerous Goods Amendment (Penalty Reform) Bill 2019 to the Victorian Parliament. The Bill was debated and first read. It will be second read today.
- The UFU commends the Andrews Labor Government for recognising the risks that career firefighters take responding to these fires and the damage that is caused by unscrupulous persons who illegally stockpile waste, including toxic waste.
- The introduction of this Bill is a significant step forward. The UFU will continue to keep members informed of the status of the Bill as it traverses the Victorian Parliament.
RECYCLING & WASTE MANAGEMENT INQUIRY INTERIM REPORT RELEASED
- The Legislative Council Committee earlier this year announced an Inquiry into Recycling & Waste Management. The UFU provided a substantial submission to this Inquiry and Branch Secretary Peter Marshall appeared at the Inquiry alongside senior-ranking UFU members to provide further information to assist the Committee in making its findings.
- Yesterday, the Committee tabled its Interim Report. Importantly, the first finding of the Interim Report states “Emergency services personnel have been put at serious risk as a result of regulatory non-compliance by private companies and individuals.”
- Evidence provided by the UFU and members appear at many points throughout the Interim Report and appeared to have greatly assisted the Committee in understanding just how rampant and dangerous the practice of unregulated, toxic dumping really is.
- The Final Report is due in late November. The UFU will continue to keep members informed.
- Department of Premier & Cabinet Media Release: https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/new-penalties-for-stockpiling-dangerous-goods/
- Order of Proceedings on 27 August 2019 (click on first PDF dated 27/08/2019): https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/assembly/votes-aamp-proceeding-minutes
- Inquiry Interim Report: https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/images/stories/committees/SCEP/Recycling_and_Waste_Mgmt/interim_report/LCEPC_59-01_Text_WEB.pdf
Strength in Unity
READ OUT AT MUSTER AND PIN ON NOTICE BOARD
Authorised by Peter Marshall, Branch Secretary